[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 13:18:02 +0200

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 12.45, Vincent Burel wrote:
> [...]

Well, you always have that choice anyway. :-)

As to GMPI, not having the feature means no one can use it, whether
they want to or not.

> > However, for many algorithms it's trivial, and for the rest, it's
> > usually not too hard to come up with a good enough approximation.
> > You don't have to be perfectly accurate or anything; just don't
> > cut too early. Estimate high. Round upwards. Still much better
> > than nothing.
>
> hum, personnally i don't feel it too much trivial , even for a
> simple EQ. But i would like to believe you ! :-)

Well, you might be forgetting that processing plugins (as opposed to
generators) have a very simple hint they may look at: The input! When
it goes "magically silent", add a suitable delay, and then output
magic silence. It doesn't even get near the DSP code.

As to generators, well, a synth may consider looking at it's VCA
states, for starters. If you have state machine driven envelope
generators, trapping zero output is trivial and next to free.

> > So, don't use it in cases where you're not certain you can get it
> > right. It's an *optimization*, and as such, it's optional.
>
> the GMPI SDK is 99% not defined and we are already talking about
> optionnal stuff... don't you think that strange !? :-)

Why? You think it would be better if silence support was *not*
optional, or what? ;-)

Anyway, I think the whole point with this thread (and this whole stage
in the creation of GMPI) is to decide what to squeeze into the API,
and what to leave out. "Optional" vs "required" as an inherent
property of a feature makes a big difference to whether it's
desirable or not.

> > > i am an ass. ! :-)  hope this problem is solve now and we can
> > > discussed without ass parasite and pissing off details !
> >
> > Well, we're aware of the problem now, but in general, that's not
> > the same thing as having solved the problem. ;-)
>
> didn't see that "ass" word was an introduction to come into big
> explanation and analyze to try to understand and really solve the
> problem. :-) i understood "ass" as a solution for Tim ! :-) and i
> like it , it's efficient and fast ! :-))

Whatever. We'll have to live with it, I guess. :-)

> > Well, it seems to me that the question is about whether you want
> > clients to occasionally report bugs, or constantly whine about
> > lousy performance. The former will happen anyway, and based on my
> > limited hand-on experience with it, I don't think silence support
> > is going to add all that much to the amount of bugs.
>
> if you believe it ,then i'm reassured !:-) we missed more guys like
> you to reassure peoples in many domains :-)

Hah! :-)

No, that's why I want to see real figures from real applications, and
real experiences with real code. I may not be reading carefully
enough or something, but so far, I'm not seeing enough clear evidence
in either direction. What have we seen so far? A few incomplete data
points, some anecdotal "evidence" and some opinions that, AFAIK, are
based on little more than pure speculation!

I don't make important design decisions based on wild guesses, and I
don't think the GMPI team should either.

More detailed data, please. I've only implemented a modular multimedia
mixer and some simple plugins with silence support, so I'd rather
listen to Jeff and Ron, who seem to have rather solid experience with
"magic silence".