[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:27:58 +0100

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 02:03:40PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >2.  What audio sample data types should be supported?
>
> default (i.e. 99.8% of all audio) streams should be non-interleaved,
> IEEE 32 bit floating point, normalized to -1.0 .. +1.0.

I'm tempted to say 100%, I haven't done tests to verify what the rouding
error is to my satisfaction yet, but the evidence seems to be that it
doesn't matter, and everything is so much easier and cleaner if you have
one audio format.

> >6.  Should data be packaged as objects a la DirectX, or as raw buffers a la
> >VST?
>
> raw buffers, but my major concern: memcpy(), memset() and memmove()
> should all be usable on some easily accessible address derived from
> the buffer.

Modulo memcpy and inplace processing issues, agreed.

> 7. Are non-PCM streams permitted (e.g. FFT) ?

Hmm... this is tempting, but I think there are just too many variables,
FFT data can have different overlaps, windowing functions and sizes. Also
it causes some real problems when combined with soft-realtime stuff and
block sizes than aren't multiples of fft size / overlap, as we've seen in
jack.