[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:08:32 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Olofson" <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2003 1:18 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

> > hum, personnally i don't feel it too much trivial , even for a
> > simple EQ. But i would like to believe you ! :-)
>
> Well, you might be forgetting that processing plugins (as opposed to
> generators) have a very simple hint they may look at: The input! When
> it goes "magically silent", add a suitable delay, and then output
> magic silence. It doesn't even get near the DSP code.

do you have an idea about the difference between an EQ 20Hz +12 db and an EQ
15Khz +12db in term of time to falldown -80db after a pulse !? Knowing that
the reaction rate of this kind of IIR EQ depends on Q parameters !? the
difference is a factor 100 at least .

> As to generators, well, a synth may consider looking at it's VCA
> states, for starters. If you have state machine driven envelope
> generators, trapping zero output is trivial and next to free.

Even for effect, there is different problem here when IsZero is set.
- How many time i have to continue to send audio buffer ?
- When can i compute this time according parameters and without producing a
CPU clip. ?
- When i decide that my signal is ZERO , maybe i've to re-initialize my
effect (internal buffer, memory, oscillators, etc...).
- When can i re-initialize my effect without CPU clip !?

> > the GMPI SDK is 99% not defined and we are already talking about
> > optionnal stuff... don't you think that strange !? :-)
>
> Why? You think it would be better if silence support was *not*
> optional, or what? ;-)

At least it would be more logical to first talk about the bare necessary,
mandatory features, and non optionnal stuff. That's sure.

> Whatever. We'll have to live with it, I guess. :-)

yes like others   :-)

> No, that's why I want to see real figures from real applications, and
> real experiences with real code. I may not be reading carefully
> enough or something, but so far, I'm not seeing enough clear evidence
> in either direction. What have we seen so far? A few incomplete data
> points, some anecdotal "evidence" and some opinions that, AFAIK, are
> based on little more than pure speculation!

i think i've given enough argument.

Vincent Burel