[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 09:31:47 +0100

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 11:04:15AM -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> > 1.  How should multichannel audio streams be represented, interleaved or
> > not?
>
> Non-interleaved, independant datastructs.
>
> > 2.  What audio sample data types should be supported?
>
> I used to advocate only FLOAT32, but I think something more forward looking
> in necessary.  I'd like to see a very simple negotiation.  Perhaps on the
> granularity of the entire plugin, or just per audio-port.

This is eactly think kind of thing I'm afraid of, theres no reason to
believe that anyone will ever want to to send double audio data between
plugins, let alone in the likly lifespan of GMPI, and it just adds so
much complexity.

NB, not wanting to rake over old arguments, this is independent of
parameters and internal processing.