[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: "Todor J. Fay" <todor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:43:45 -0700

> Would I do it with concurrent formats again? No. We had plenty of bugs
> to trip over with bizarre combinations of clock and music time tracks
in
> the performance. The mixture theoretically was to allow sound effects
> concurrent with music. In truth, it is simpler and more logical to
have
> two instances of the performance engine, one for the music and one for
> the clock time sound effects, and that's typically how people are
using
> DirectMusic.
> <<<
>
> Actually, I kind of agree.  Although the "dual time" representation in
> SONAR
> sounds cool on paper, in practice it did cause some number of
headaches.
> wouldn't go so far as to say we would want two flavors of an engine,
but I
> can see how things could be cleaner with one time format.

Oops. I was stupidly misleading. I would have one engine but in the
clock time case it would run without a tempo map. Then, it's just a UI
issue in the editor to display clock time instead of music time. I'm not
saying that's the solution here, where the focus is authoring instead of
interactive music and sound effects playback for games, etc. I prefer
the approach discussed here of a centralized time source and format
converter with and three formats (master time, sample time, music time)
that each component can choose to work with, as appropriate.

One useful lesson DM taught me: don't try to be all things for all
people, especially where it requires overly complex code.

Todor