[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:02:07 -0400

Would I do it with concurrent formats again? No. We had plenty of bugs
to trip over with bizarre combinations of clock and music time tracks in
the performance. The mixture theoretically was to allow sound effects
concurrent with music. In truth, it is simpler and more logical to have
two instances of the performance engine, one for the music and one for
the clock time sound effects, and that's typically how people are using
DirectMusic.
<<<

Actually, I kind of agree.  Although the "dual time" representation in SONAR
sounds cool on paper, in practice it did cause some number of headaches.  I
wouldn't go so far as to say we would want two flavors of an engine, but I
can see how things could be cleaner with one time format.

I think there seems to be a consensus that times should be represented in
absolute units, with the host providing a mechanism to convert to other
units as needed.  That said, what absolute format should we use:
- Samples (64 bit)?
- Seconds (double precision float)?
- Something akin to "reference times" (64 bit, each unit = 100 nsec)
- Other?