[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:33:16 -0700

Marc said:

> Call me an optimist, but I want my plugins to believe there is a future.<g>
 Imagine a GMPI version (actually today in OPT version 1), where a plugin can
 pull data from anywhere out of a project's timeline at any time.  Giving
 plugins access to future data and/or a birds-eye view of a song can be very
 powerful.

It's not difficult to imagine this at all, such audio plugin formats have existed since long ago. And they're great and serve a very important function. Such non-causal access to future audio or music data (and past data) is crucial for effects like normalizers, time compression, etc. But these inherently not realtime.

This makes me think that it could be cool to make it possible for a plug to be a source of an automation parameter. Think of a dynamics analyzer plug that creates an automation curve that other plugs could use as an input.

-- Chris