[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: Marc Poirier <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:31:10 +0200 (CEST)

> Call me an optimist, but I want my plugins to believe there is a future.<g>
> Imagine a GMPI version (actually today in OPT version 1), where a plugin can
> pull data from anywhere out of a project's timeline at any time.  Giving
> plugins access to future data and/or a birds-eye view of a song can be very
> powerful.

It's not difficult to imagine this at all, such audio plugin formats have
existed since long ago.  And they're great and serve a very important
function.  Such non-causal access to future audio or music data (and past
data) is crucial for effects like normalizers, time compression, etc.
But these inherently not realtime.  So I think that it's wrong to say that
we want to throw this into the realtime scheme of GMPI because of the
how "powerful" that is when we know that the powerfulness really rests in
having access to any point in time at any moment, and really now we're not
talking about realtime processing anymore.  I personally think that this
is separate enough that we should consider these two distinct categories
of plugins, possibly both supported under GMPI.  Personally, I'm very much
interested in seeing both.  But anyway, didn't this come up a lot earlier
in the discussions?  I can't remember for sure, and whether or not folks
decided to just focus on realtime plugins...

Marc