[gmpi] Re: Topic 6: Time representation

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:37:10 +0200

On Monday 12 May 2003 10.37, Vincent Burel wrote:
[...]
> Well maybe it works with MIDI since midi fonctions are well
> implemented. But what about the graphic user interface, what about
> the USB port, what about a sony 9 Pin remote.... How to be sure
> that all event type could be timestamp precisely !? (mean with a
> precision below the audio buffersize).

Well, on Linux, you could probably get rather accurate timing by using
the generic input event system (with timestamps), but I don't know if
it's at all possible to bypass the Windows or Mac OS GUIs like that.
If you have to go through a GUI toolkit and/or a graphics server of
some kind, and there are no timestamps, the GUI thread will have to
run at higher priority than the audio thread - and well, that's just
not an option in any normal environment.

If you really want to abuse non-RT subsystems for "real time" input,
get an SMP machine. Then there's at least a chance the non-RT stuff
can run on another CPU while the audio thread hogs away.

In short: Use the right tool for the job. If you nead accurate
timestamps on *all* input events, you need an OS, hardware and
drivers that can provide it. If Windows breaks the chain, replace it
with something else. Simple as that.