[gmpi] Re: Reqs Discuss: 1-11

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GMPI list <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:25:01 -0500 (EST)

OK, not intending to pick holes in LADSPA specifically, but:-

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Steve Harris wrote:

> I think were partly disagreeing over names for the plugin states.
> In LADSPA we have something like:
> Loaded        - produce metadata, build any sr independent things

In GMPI we need metadata to be available prior to this (b/c metadata must
be available before expensive things like sample load or resource load can
happen)

> Instantiated  - knows sample rate - do sr specific things

I don't really like the terminology... instantiate implies the creation of
the object, I would have thought it would be more likely that the host
would create the object, and THEN set the sample rate, streaming buffer
size, negotiate connections etc.

Also "Loaded/Unloaded" in this way implies a 1:1 relationship between
code module instances and plugin instances. I would expect that in GMPI we
will expect to be able to spawn off multiple plugin instances from a
single module load.

Regards,
        Angus.