[gmpi] Re: Reqs Discuss: 1-11

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:29:38 -0700

While I hate to base anything on MS compiler behavior, I did notice when I tried to compile your test code over the weekend that <stdint.h> is not included by MS .NET 2003. And therefore int32_t, etc, are not defined.
Can we simply roll our own for GMPI? Or include the necessary headers in the package?

Mike

Tim Hockin wrote:

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:56:36PM +0100, Frederic Vanmol wrote:

Hm, int32_t is language specific (it doesn't exist in Pascal, for example). What's important is that we know what we're talking about, not what terms we use.

Right - it's ANSI C (C99).  Since we're defining everything in the lowest
levels, we need to do that to guarantee bitwidths across platforms.  For
example, I just got to play on my first AMD64, and it uses sizeof(long) ==
8.  :)

That said, I don't like int32_t (personal opinion), although I could definitely live with int32, int64, ... Those names are (slightly) simpler, without the superfluous _t addendum.

It's not something we pulled out of the air.  int32_t is the ANSI name.
int32 is platform specific.

Mike Berry
Adobe Systems