[gmpi] Re: Reqs Discuss: 1-11

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 10:58:46 -0800

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 11:46:04PM +0100, Vincent Burel wrote:
> REQ 4 : WORD, DWORD, QWORD are not platform specific but are defined as
> 16bit, 32bit, 64bit unsigned integer value whatever the platform , so i
> don't understand the example : "int32_t instead of DWORD"

[thockin gmpi]$ grep DWORD /usr/include/* 2>/dev/null
[thockin gmpi]$ grep DWORD /usr/include/sys/* 2>/dev/null

It doesn't show up here in my system.  And if you read the C specification,
you won't find it there either.  It is platform specific - Windows defines
it, no one else.

> REQ 5 : precise which kind of API the host will provide.

This is requirements, not spec.  The notes say:
  "By providing an API for accessing common system services, such as memory
  and filesystems, we can reduce the likelihood of a plugin not being portable
  to a different OS. Specifically, the areas targetted by this API should be
  the very areas where platforms differ."

> REQ 6 : for who ? the host or the plug-in ?

I worded it as 'between entities' to indicate that it could be host->plugin,
plugin->plugin, or plugin->host.  Maybe there's a better wording?

> REQ 9 : can be a parenthesys or REQ 8

You're right.  8 and 9 are duplicate info.  I'll delete 8 for the next
draft.

Thanks for the precise comments.  I know to expect nothing less from you ;)