[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 17:53:00 -0800

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 01:09:01PM +1300, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> Steve:> OK, so you can just ignore the ramp slopes and use the point
> values -
> > I dont see the problem.
>
> I guess so...just seems weird to send a ramp to it.

It actually makes sense if you think that float is a non-discrete.  Just go
with the mental model that all real-number events have some duration to get
there, which plugins *should* use.  If they don't, they are either making a
conscious decision based on good reasons, or they will sound bad.

> Granted, I could specify delay as an integer in milliseconds, but surely
> there are other 'float' parameters that aren't intended to be ramped?

Are there?  Or rather, are there float parameters that don't make sense
ramped that can not be equally represented as some other type?  To me, the
delay time makes MORE sense as an int(milliseconds).

> > I think all parameters should be automatable, with some flagged as "unsafe
> > for realtime".  Maybe.
>
> I think we're saying the same thing. I said not "automatable", you say not
> "realtime".
>   Neither is strictly true.  My 'buffer-size' parameter can be automated in
> realtime, the audio sometimes glitches as the buffer is re-allocated, but
> you can do it.

That's why I said 'safe'  It can be tweaked in realtime, but it is not safe.
It may work, or it may not.  As David points out, the right answer is
probably a worker thread or some such.