[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 10:11:51 +0000

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 07:29:03 +0100, David Olofson wrote:

> > > It just becomes a special case on the sender side instead.
> >
> > Yes, but I write plugins ;)
>
> ...but no plugins that have control outputs? ;-)

I do, but they dont need to be declicked.

> > > I don't see how grabbing 'target' from <target, duration> is more
> > > work. :-)
> >
> > Its not, but its out of sync. If you want to be close to the real
> > curve yhou need to remeber the target until the duration is up.
>
> That's out of sync too, by the same amount - only in the other
> direction. The closest single step solution is setting the value
> after half the duration of the ramp.

I dont think thats true - surely you would want the rtamp shape to mirror
the control curve, in which case the current value should always be the
closest one.

> Maybe. Depends on how you do the smoothing, I guess. (By first
> generating the ramped signal and then filtering it, or by
> transforming the ramps to something else first, for example.) I don't
> have enough experience with that kind of code to say what the optimal
> format would be, or even if there is such a thing.

I've always dont it by generating ramps and smoothing those - I dont know
if thats mow its usally done though.

Anyway, I think we should stop this thread - my gripe was that the
requirements included a paragraph that suggested that ramped, and unramped
control streams were inherently different, and I'm not sure thats a good
idea - I dont /really/ care how thats achieved.

Precise specification of the ramp data is a spec issue.