[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 20:01:04 -0800

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:20:29PM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> Then again, how important is it that controls not designed for ramping
> sort of try to emulate it? I think it's irrelevant in most of cases,
> since normally, controls that make sense to ramp will support
> ramping, at least to the extent where you get a reasonable
> approximation of the expected result.

The issue is that a sender of events needs to know whether the receiver can
properly handle ramps.

> Ramping integer controls, enums and stuff like that sounds like
> "weird, experimental stuff" to me - and if you really want to do it,
> you can just throw in some control type converter. (Probably required
> anyway; see below.)

Acceptable to me.  We still have to either mandate that float controls
support ramps, or we have to provide the info to senders, and all senders
have to handle it properly.

> Or maybe plugins should be required to have event handlers for all
> relevant event types for each control, regardless of type...? I don't
> quite like the "exploding number of possible combinations to test"
> part of it, but it would be a very efficient way of supporting
> float->double, double->float, float->int etc. No converters, and
> still no extra conditionals and stuff. (If events are decoded with a
> single switch() with sensibly chosen case values, the number of cases
> has no effect on performance.)

yuck.  Better to have generic control type converters.