[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 16:45:42 -0800

On Wed, Jan 07, 2004 at 12:26:06AM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> Yes, but even that statement implies a system level distinction. The
> requirements could specify that control events should be handleable
> wether you care about ramps or not, or they could require a distinction.

OK

> Hm... if youre interpolating an integer control then it probably shuldn't
> have been an integer in the first place - I guess thats the distintion
> between an integer hinted real, and and int.

You could say "current = 0; Ramp to 10 in 100 samples" and that would be a
legitimate ramp.  It doesn't imply that the plugin need to interpolate
between whole numbers, just that it interpolate as best it can between 0 and
10.  0, 1, 2, ... 10.

By making everything that does not handle ramps ignore them altogether, we
now have a weird case.  Consider the above.

A sender can choose to send 10 discrete point-values or one ramp.  To a
ramped control, the result is the same.  To an unramped control it is VASTLY
different.

This just dawned on me.  The send really HAS to know about the receiver's
ability for ramps to make an informed decision.

So either we have a negotiated ramp/don't ramp state, everything MUST
support ramps, or no ramps at all.  So maybe you're closer to right than I
was:

Numeric controls (float/double/int) MUST support ramping.
Everything else does not.  Maybe not int, even (though if you consider ints
with very large ranges, ramping makes sense).

Tim