[gmpi] Re: Reqs 3.8 Events - ramped events

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:01:27 +0100

On Tuesday 13 January 2004 02.53, Tim Hockin wrote:
[...]
> > Granted, I could specify delay as an integer in milliseconds, but
> > surely there are other 'float' parameters that aren't intended to
> > be ramped?
>
> Are there?

Yes. Parameters for filters and stuff that need heavy recalculations
for every change.

Consider something like a Remez filter plugin. Changing the filter
specification will probably mean you have to wait a moment for the
result (worker callback job) - but I don't see why integer parameters
would make sense.

> Or rather, are there float parameters that don't make
> sense ramped that can not be equally represented as some other
> type?  To me, the delay time makes MORE sense as an
> int(milliseconds).

That works only if the length parameter doesn't have any effect other
than as a max delay limit/memory allocation control. If the length
had a direct effect on the sound, ms resolution may be insufficient
to some users. Use µs? Samples?

Using real values means you don't have to waste time trying to figure
out what kind of accuracy and range you need for every parameter. You
don't risk having to release a new, incompatible version of the
plugin, just because you weren't thinking straight when picking
units. Just use real values in sensible units instead.