[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <m.j.w.sipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 00:38:45 +0100

[...]
> i also can't think of many h/w synths that offer extensive MIDI
> control. i may just be spacing on this. my K5000S, which i use quite a
> lot as a MIDI controller, has *no* MIDI control of its synthesis
> parameters - the same knobs that control those parameters generate
> MIDI out, but MIDI in does nothing. i may have missed something about
> the setup, but i think this is true. its also seems true of two other
> pieces of MIDI gear i have, the Roland Handsonic and my quadraverb FX
> processor.

I find that very strange. With all hardware that I own there is hardly
anything that cannot be done using MIDI. There is a difference between
realtime control and voice editing, but in general even the latter can be
done using system exclusive or perhaps (N)RPN.

The knobs on the K5000S are macro controls that in fact control
several parameters IIRC, so there is a difference between a control
and the parameter that it controls. I would be very surprised if these
controls aren't also received via MIDI; that would make them somewhat
unusable. In fact, these controls on the K5000 can also be added to the
K5000W/R (that don't have these) using an external control box
connected using MIDI.

MIDI is _the_ way to control synthesizer hardware and while not
everything may be controllable using MIDI on all hardware, most
hardware does allow almost everything to be done via MIDI. All
that is to be controlled during a performance is _always_ controllable
via MIDI.

With my Waldorf pulse all parameters are available via MIDI CCs.
That's nice and simple, but even here you cannot always know the
state of these parameters from examining the MIDI input: after a
program change you'd have to ask it to send all these parameters
CCs since they may have changed. The 'random' patch is especially
unpredictable :)

--ms