[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:15:40 -0600

Ron Kuper wrote:

So making vendors do GMPI to MIDI translations in their plugins to suit
legacy code should be no more onerous than the translations that will be
necessary in other, even brand new, plugins.
<<<

What I am proposing would mean that vendors don't need to do any
GMPI->MIDI translations for their legacy code.   I am assuming that new
plugins would probably not use MIDI at all, *unless* the new plugin was
a software version of a hardware product.  In that case I could see a
vendor writing MIDI-in GMPI plugins all of the time, so that they could
reuse the same source bits both in their gear in a host based plugin.

If what you are suggesting is just to avoid re-writing existing legacy plugins, then why not use the same approach that is planned for existing VST, DX, AU plugins, which is a GMPI->xxx wrapper plugin which does all of the translation? Then it is "outside" of the GMPI spec as opposed to a special case inside it.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems