[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:56:37 -0700

Tim, I hope you understand I'm not trying to pile on, just trying to help find and eradicate sources of error that, uncorrected, could compromise all this hard work we've all done on GMPI. Nothing personal, except maybe that harshness, for which I apologized, and which was sort of provoked.

That said,

We all agreed that plugins do not ever change their own parameters,
right?  If they want to do something like that, they use an Actor helper
or something like that.

So a blob that changes other parameters would fall into this
"self-changing" category (as would MIDI).  If you *don't* go through the
host, and just change your internal notion of stuff, then those changes
are not subject to all the wonderful things that the host can provide,
such as input arbitration, undo, etc.

vs.

 > 3 - MIDI PERFORMANCE INPUT / NEW PLUGS...
Everything (again, with the exception of NoteOn, NoteOff, and maybe
Program Change) must be undoable and host arbitratable.

I can't tell whether you intend to open vs. close a door for non-host-tracked parameter changes. ??

If it's closing, this would seem to imply that a blob param can't take e.g. a patch dump, unless the plug also supplies an actor component, which seems like a nontrivial impact on the usefulness of the blob datatype, as I kind of assumed at the time of the datatype discussion that would be a typical application. Is this how we want the blob to work?

-- Chris G.