[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:08:54 -0700

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 03:56:03PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> You mean, forgetting MIDI for a second, that if a plug receives a
> blob, and any plug parameter values change as a result, the plug is
> required to tell the host what parameters changed and their new
> values?  That doesn't seem to be in the requirements document, is it?

Well, I guess I only phrased it as such just now.  I had not considered a
blob that would change other parameters.

We all agreed that plugins do not ever change their own parameters,
right?  If they want to do something like that, they use an Actor helper
or something like that.

So a blob that changes other parameters would fall into this
"self-changing" category (as would MIDI).  If you *don't* go through the
host, and just change your internal notion of stuff, then those changes
are not subject to all the wonderful things that the host can provide,
such as input arbitration, undo, etc.

Before I say it should be in the docs, I'm going to give you an
ooportuntiy to lambast me for somethign I or we have overlooked.

Have at it. :)