[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 12:49:52 -0600

Ron Kuper wrote:

I personally think that this argument holds no weight, particularly if
we do allow SysEx, because the plugin translating a GMPI event into its
own representation is something that ALL plugins have to do.
<<<

True, any synth plugin is going to translate MIDI to some internal form.
But do you know what this internal form is?  Is it really going to be
float pitch values?  Maybe it's something altogether different.

I certainly couldn't say in general, and I've even seen the source code
for soft-synths that emulate hardware.

No, I assume that in many cases it is not going to be float pitch values. That is exactly my point. Everybody is going to be doing translations of some kind in their plugins. So making vendors do GMPI to MIDI translations in their plugins to suit legacy code should be no more onerous than the translations that will be necessary in other, even brand new, plugins.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems