[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI (What does it mean to be a plugin)

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:10:31 -0400

>What I am proposing would mean that vendors don't need to do any
>GMPI->MIDI translations for their legacy code.   I am assuming that new
>plugins would probably not use MIDI at all, *unless* the new plugin was
>a software version of a hardware product.  In that case I could see a
>vendor writing MIDI-in GMPI plugins all of the time, so that they could
>reuse the same source bits both in their gear in a host based plugin.

i understand the sentiment. but i'd like to point out that back in the
early days of the reqs discussion, at least one h/w synth maker's
employee told us that their stuff is implemented in assembler and
would never be portable to other platforms. i know its anecdotal, and
you probably have other examples where portability is a possibility.

i also can't think of many h/w synths that offer extensive MIDI
control. i may just be spacing on this. my K5000S, which i use quite a
lot as a MIDI controller, has *no* MIDI control of its synthesis
parameters - the same knobs that control those parameters generate
MIDI out, but MIDI in does nothing. i may have missed something about
the setup, but i think this is true. its also seems true of two other
pieces of MIDI gear i have, the Roland Handsonic and my quadraverb FX
processor.

--p