[geocentrism] Re: Three days and three nights

  • From: "Philip" <joyphil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 10:17:55 +1000

Forgive me for butting in here Neville, but the word NEW  has a variety of
connotations. For example 4 a below new day or new moon , as for a new month.
Philip.
adjective,
Main Entry: 1new
Pronunciation: 'nü, chiefly British 'nyü, in place names usually (")nu or n& or
(")ni
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English nIwe; akin to Old High German niuwi
new, Latin novus, Greek neos
1 : having existed or having been made but a short time : RECENT, MODERN
2 a (1) : having been seen, used, or known for a short time : NOVEL <rice was a
new crop for the area> (2) : UNFAMILIAR <visit new places> b : being other than
the former or old
3 : having been in a relationship or condition but a short time <new to the job>

4 a : beginning as the resumption or repetition of a previous act or thing <a
new day> <the new edition> b : made or become fresh <awoke a new person>

5 : different from one of the same category that has existed previously <new
realism>
6 : of dissimilar origin and usually of superior quality <introducing new blood>
7 capitalized : MODERN 3; especially : having been in use after medieval times
- new·ish /'nü-ish, 'nyü-/ adjective
- new·ness noun
synonyms NEW, NOVEL, ORIGINAL, FRESH mean having recently come into existence
or use. NEW may apply to what is freshly made and unused <new brick> or has not
been known before <new designs> or not experienced before <starts the new job>.
NOVEL applies to what is not only new but strange or unprecedented <a novel
approach to the problem>. ORIGINAL applies to what is the first of its kind to
exist <a man without one original idea>. FRESH applies to what has not lost its
qualities of newness such as liveliness, energy, brightness <a fresh start>.