[GeoStL] Re: Thanks

  • From: Brent & Amanda Deen <baja70@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:37:32 -0500

-
The only things I am armed with when I cache are a cell phone, lots of
bug repellent, sometimes a stick for poking in questionable critter
holes, and most importantly, a large dose of common sense (although
there are probably those who would disagree with the last item as it
relates to me).  Being new to the group, you missed a discussion about
a month ago which was led by RockSusan and revolved around safety.  The
best advice is use common sense, trust your instincts and know your
limitations, just like everything else in life.  Some caches are in
remote areas.  If you're caching alone, make sure someone knows where
you're going, when you'll be back, etc.  Pay attention to the weather
and terrain.  Slopes can become very muddy and slippery after a good
rain or during the spring thaw.  Some caches are in areas that are safe
in the daytime, but questionable at night.  So, you don't go at night.
Others just make you feel uncomfortable.  Skip that one.  No one needs
to pump up their numbers that bad, and with as many good caches as we
have in STL, you can easily move onto another.  This pastime is about
technology, but don't let the gee-whiz toys replace your brain.

Welcome to geocaching, keep your wits about you and have fun!

Amanda
BAJA Clan

On Aug 24, 2004, at 17:34, Brad Myers wrote:

> -
> Thanks for the warm welcome.  Jim has already solved one of my
> problems (over shooting the cache site). I've been reading the forums
> at geocaching.com and have question. I've noticed a few topics about
> being 'armed'. It covers everything from carrying a stick to AK-47. I
> haven't felt it necessary to be armed anywhere that I've went (except
> with a fly swatter). Am I missing something? Most of the sites that
> I've looked at in our area don't appear to be in dangerous areas, nor
> do we have that many dangerous animals in the area.
> Also, tklnhl, AMH209 stands for Alton Memorial Hospital and 209 is my
> paramedic number.
> in the Subject field

Subject field