[GeoSTL] Re: SLAGA vs. GeoStl.com

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:20:10 -0500

Dave D wrote:

> >  Is the proposal to change our name
> >just because someone might associate
> >our group's identity with coal?
>
> Not because of the similarity to coal - I just don't like SLAGA.

Your main argument when starting this thread was:
'SLAGA just isn't that attractive - it sounds like a coal by-product.'

That's all we had to base your argument on, but now it's even
weaker because it's 'just because you don't like it'.

> I don't thing we are changing our name.
> We are still the St. Louis Area Geocachers Association.
> We would just not be using SLAGA.

That's even worse.  Then we would have two names that
aren't related.

> We are a geocaching group (SLAGA),
> >not a web site (geostl.com). '.com' is a
> >domain name suffix for a company.  We
> >are not a company.
>
> .com is a domain name for a variety of websites, including associations,
> organizations - not just companies.

That's not the definition of '.com'.  '.com' is for companies.  Organizations
are '.org'.  In term of domain names, it would be been more appropriate
for us to be '.net'. But that's beside the point.  '.com' is part of a domain
name.  We are a geocaching group, not an internet web site.

> >I like SLAGA.  One reason I like it is
> >because that has already become our
> >identity.  EVERYTHING about our
> >website has *that* acronym on it.  Every
> >page, logo, filenames, database names,
> >etc.
>
> Sound likes something easy to fix.
>
> Change SLAGA NEWS to NEWS
> Remove SLAGA from the St. Louis Area Geocachers Association (SLAGA) header.
> Change SLAGA NEWSGROUP to NEWSGROUP
> SLAGA isn't on the logo - GeoStl.com is.
> Filenames and database doesn't need to be changed.

I am very aware of the changes that would be needed.  (And they aren't
just on the main web page as you seem to think).  I don't expect
anyone who hasn't been deeply involved with the development of the
web site to know the full extent of the changes (or ever have to deal
with them).  However, what you just proposed above is to 'remove'
our group's identity from our main web pages - all because you just don't
like the name SLAGA!

> >Why?  Because we were SLAGA before
> >we had geostl.com.  Because when this
> >topic was brought up many months ago
> >no decision was made to change.  So
> >we continued to use what we had *always*
> >been using.
>
> As I recall when this was brought up a couple months ago -  most people did
> agree that we wanted to get away from SLAGA.

I don't recall that anyone in the discussion said that SLAGA *had* to go.
Only 4 or 5 members participated in the discussion.  The discussion was
not a serious one, so all alternatives that resulted were silly or
inappropriate.
The discussion died with no conclusion (just like it did with the logo).

This issue might be a 'pet peeve' of yours, but you don't seem to realize that
SLAGA has come to represent our group.  I'd really hate to see us lose that
progress and momentum because you just don't like the name SLAGA.

Paul (SMUCKERS) Konopacki

Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Mail List & Archive Info.
Msg. of the day, "These days, I spend a lot of time thinking about the
hereafter...
I go somewhere to get something and then wonder what I'm here after.