[GeoSTL] Re: SLAGA vs. GeoStl.com

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 13:37:44 -0500

> If a stranger sees it, they will have no idea what it stands for.
What are we trying to accomplish?  I think we want to be
a resource for people who are interested in geocaching.  I don't
think we are trying to make the world notice us.

But if someone sees SLAGA on a hat and they
want to know what it is, then they ask. Isn't
that better than just another 'something.com'
that is overused today and doesn't invoke
any curiosity due to overexposure?

In my mind, seeing SLAGA would invoke
some curiosity and I might ask the person
wearing or showing that name what it stood
for. For me,  'www.geostl.com' just by itself
gets lost in the .com clutter.

One you explain what SLAGA is in a personal,
customized manner, you pull out your SLAGA
business card that happens to have www.geostl.com
listed on it.

You seem to have the assumption that we're
not advertising www.geostl.com enough.
I completely disagree.  Our site has been
submitted to search engines, referenced in
cache pages and emails, printed on business
cards, etc.

Word of mouth is also getting us noticed.
The web site statistics show a dramatic
increase in traffic to the site every month
and that's based on our current method
of publicity.  I think our recognition is
growing at a fine pace.

I'm not adverse to using SLAGA and
www.geostl.com in the same sentence.
I do it all over the place without much
mental turmoil.  But I have a problem
giving up one for the other at this stage
of the group's development.

What we should be concentrating on
more than bickering over names, is
what is the group going to become?
Are we at a stage where we have to
become more formal?  How do we
make decisions as a group of 56
members?  Can we do what we want
with the group on a donation basis?

Those are REAL issues.

> Can't SLAGA be removed from the web pages
> text only.  Why do the filenames, databases, etc
> need to be changed?  If we don't see them, who cares?

I don't live by the 'out-of-sight, out-of-mind' philosophy.
It only leads to trouble.  Who cares?  I care.  I've seen
this type of 'name change' happen many times in my 20
years in the computer field.  I've seen the mess it makes
to the maintenance of a program when it is only partially
implemented, or when the external changes, but the
internal doesn't.  I don't want to voluntarily maintain a
web site under those conditions.

3.  Keep and use both SLAGA and www.geostl.com in their appropriate context.