[gameprogrammer] Re: any good??

  • From: Alexander Sabourenkov <screwdriver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:02:14 +0400

Kevin Jenkins wrote:
> How would you compare the rate of productivity of C++ vs. Python ?

I would say productivity depends much more on coder skillset and project
management (possibly internal to the coder), than on language. It is of course
possible to use wrong language for a given task, but that would be developer's
mistake, not deficiency of a language.

For me, Python proved to be invaluable prototyping tool. The speed of
evaluating OO designs and iteratively developing the one I need, that it
allows, IME can not be matched by C++ mostly due to its lower-level nature.
(I also got bitten by lack of adequate online documentation on C++ and its
standard library).

I, of course, would not write a network library in Python, nor would I write a
scene management or renderer of a game engine. I would instead prototype them
in Python, then rewrite most cpu-intensive parts in C or maybe C++ as a Python
modules.

--

./lxnt