[gameprogrammer] Re: any good??

  • From: jcool bubu <joeyshop2004@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:31:12 -0700 (PDT)

thinks to all of you. i got it for $1 if i bought it online but if i go to the
store i had to pay $34.99. i do know a little spansh but that is about it. i am
the only one here my age. no one is even close to it. if i tell you  then you
wont beleve me.
Gregg Bolinger <gdboling@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:I'm not so sure I agree with the
Python statements in terms of
learning how to program. But I really don't think J++ is the place to
start. Especiallly since it's not an activily developed or maintained
language. (Wonder why you got the book for $1) If you want to go the
Microsoft Java route, J# would be your best bet, but I would recommend
C# over that.

But you never really stated what you are starting? Are you just
learning how to program? Do you know any other languages?

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with this but I stand
firm behind it. If you are just going to start learning how to
program start with C. After you have the basic concepts of it and
know how to write general programs in C move to an OO language. C#,
Java, C++ (althought C++ might be a bit much depending on your skill
level).

You aren't going to find 10 people that all agree about this. Most
University programming departments don't even agree one what language
to start learning how to program in. You may just need to start
somewhere and move to other languages until something starts to click.

Really and truly, there aren't as many differences in languages as it
may appear. The syntax may look a little different, but it's all the
same concepts. Once you learn one langauge it's so simple to move to
another and pick up the basics. Whatever you do, make sure you are
having fun with it or you will lose interest.

Gregg Bolinger

-