[gameprogrammer] Re: any good??

  • From: "Jason Clark" <jclark@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 20:28:08 -0600

I think that the higher level languages like Python are a wonderful
place to start as far as learning conditional statements, basic design,
and program flow. Speaking from personal experience though, their 'ease
of use' can also cause problems down the line, especially when you
change to C and you have to grasp the string is an array or char
datatypes thing, rather than just something you assign data into (In my
case it was TCL that stung me). OTOH, being able to create a tangible
program with very little background kept me excited enough that I was
willing to sit through learning about compiling, linking, etc...
After C, I learned C++, STL (Standard Template Library) gave my C++
greater strength, and Java just looked like Python to me and was very
easy to pick up. I've learned several others now (my list is no where as
long as the masters in this email group), just because I needed them for
particular job or because it looked fun to learn, but I think Bob's
previous comment is most accurate, 'Use whatever you are excited about'.
If you really want to see some results fast and have fun, try an
interpreted language like Python. It's free, there are lots of
tutorials, and a ton of people who can help along the way. Once you feel
comfortable, choose the next language, say C. Learn the best way to do
what you want to get done in that language and most importantly, have
fun with it.  After a while they all blur into the same thing anyway.
Just don't get religious about languages, granted I have favorites (and
despise some), but at the end of the day, I try to use the best tool for
the job, and have fun with it. If I discounted a tool simply because
others didn't like it, I could miss out on so many cool things, new
ideas, new constructs, bragging rights (oops, did I say that out loud,
how nerdy of me), some jobs, and new ways to solve problems.

Have fun,
Jason