[gameprogrammer] memory management in a game with LOTS of art

  • From: "Alan Wolfe" <atrix2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:40:42 -0700

Hello all,
A friend of mine is working on making a 2d tiled online RPG using SDL and
OpenGL.

He has increasingly more art/mem usage as he adds stuff in (obviously) and was
working on a solution to somehow prioritize the art of what stays in RAM and
maybe storing the low priority stuff in files or something?

I dont think he really has a clue and myself, I've never dealt with this issue
before.

Anyone out there know how to deal with this issue, of what to do when you start
to aproach too much art to load all into RAM at one time?

Thanks a bunch!

Alan