Re: Waterman or ?

  • From: "Roger Beamon" <rbeamon1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 10:47:57 -0700

On 2 Feb 2007 at 19:50, RFalken wrote, at least in part:

> Please don't anybody take this the wrong way.
> I'm interested in getting a fountain pen for Italic Handwriting or
> everyday writing and I am not a member of the nouveau riche. Nor am I
> interested in putting more money into a pen than a small car useta
> cost. So, are there viable options or am I stuck with a Manuscript
> Pen, which requires a lot of downward pressure to make a stroke, or a
> 1mm Pilot Parallel Pen which is a lot better feeling in the hand but
> overlarge for correspondence? As a last resort, I could always pull
> up my word processor and then print the result, but that goes against
> the grain for a calligrapher or penmanship artist.

A vintage Waterman with a flexible F nib. I mean flexible in the vintage sense,
not modern nibs that are often soft and springy, but not truly flexible. A good
vintage nib that has real flex will provide an F line for normal writing, but
if
you are dexterous enough to use it well, will flex to a BB or sometimes a BBB
width with the appropriate pressure.

Nibs like that require some skill which I completely lack, but I love seeing
what can be done with them. A good pen like I am talking about can be had
for $50 to $200 as long as you're not looking for collector grade.

Get with people who have such instruments that will let you try them.  A pen
show is also a great way to see them.

--
Roger Beamon
Southern Arizona  USA
in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per
instructions to complete the process.