Re: [foxboro] Infusion with I/A series DCS

  • From: "Kevin Fitzgerrell" <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 13:45:56 +0900

I'm still weighing the advantages of both also, and haven't used
Infusion yet.  My thoughts so far below, more experienced users please
feel free to correct me:

Redundancy
With Infusion, if you want redundant operator displays you'll need
redundant servers and redundant operator PCs.  Operator stations
failing over to a redundant server is not fast.  With Foxview, since
each workstation connects directly to the control network, redundant
workstations is sufficient.

Maintenance & support
To me, one of the benefits of using Infusion is that it allows a real
client-server architecture.  I'm interested in using standard MIS
installed PCs for most of our operator stations.  It's been pointed
out to me (thanks Alex) that there's not that much difference between
using a FoxView Windows server or Sun workstation and standard PCs
with Exceed, however I've had far more problems with Exceed than with
InTouch.  Anyone know how many HMI instances an Infusion server will
support?  I don't like the 16 DM/FV instance limit on the IA
workstations.

HMI
Foxview uses scalable vector graphics.  While InTouch at V10.x is also
using scalable vector graphics, Infusion is still shipping with the
older V9.x version of InTouch.  I believe that the newer version is
scheduled for release with Infusion in July.

Historian
The Infusion historian looks really nice.  I'm anxious to trial this
later this year.  However it currently only stores parameter data -
messages (alarm messages, operator action journal, system monitor,
etc.) will need to be stored in AIM*.  I don't know if this is on the
roadmap for the Infusion historian.

Engineering tools
These look good.  However it is my understanding that you can use the
Infusion engineering tools (except the graphics configuration ones)
regardless of which HMI you choose.

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell