Re: [foxboro] Infusion with I/A series DCS

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P \(IPS\)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:41:13 -0500

Re: Just to confirm - with Infusion, each InFusion View workstation has
it's own internal tagserver, correct?  =

Actually, each workstation has its own InFusion Application Environment
supporting the DIObject and DAServer required to access I/A Series OM
data. This is equivalent to a tag server in each box, but the approach
is different.

Re: And if I wanted to set up a traditional tagserver feeding multiple
InTouch instances (for example to replace an old WP providing 16 DM
instances for managers and supervisors) that is possible, but will
require a non-standard license.

I would not care to bet on how many InTouch instances can be supported
by an InFusion Application Environment. I doubt that we test that
configuration.

In any case, a remote InFusion View/InTouch instance could get tag data
from an IAE in a workstation using OPC.

Re: Any word about migration tools?  Either for graphics or for
historian data?

No specific migration tools are planned at this time. InTouch has to add
a large number of features before such a tool would be practical.

AIM*Historian configuration can exported today, but InFusion Historian -
in normal mode - is configured from the IEE built control blocks by
setting an attribute on the parameters that you want to records so I
doubt that exporting the tag list would be of much value.

AIM*Historian collected data can be exported using AIM*Oracle Export
product. This basically puts it into a text file. I don't know if
InFusion Historian could read that and associate with a tag.

Invensys Systems, Inc.
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
713.329.8472 (voice)
713.329.1700 (fax)
713.329.1600 (switchboard)
alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I appreciate you chiming in here - that clears up some things for me
where I was struggling with answers I'd gotten previously.

Just to confirm - with Infusion, each InFusion View workstation has
it's own internal tagserver, correct?  And if I wanted to set up a
traditional tagserver feeding multiple InTouch instances (for example
to replace an old WP providing 16 DM instances for managers and
supervisors) that is possible, but will require a non-standard
license.

That's very good to hear about message storage - that was one of my
major concerns as we look at moving away from legacy historian.

Any word about migration tools?  Either for graphics or for historian
data?

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell

On 1/22/08, Johnson, Alex P (IPS) <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some corrections/comments on what Kevin wrote follow.
>

> Re: Redundancy - With Infusion, if you want redundant operator
displays
> you'll need redundant servers and redundant operator PCs.  Operator
> stations failing over to a redundant server is not fast.  With
Foxview,
> since each workstation connects directly to the control network,
> redundant workstations [are] sufficient.
>

> Though this statement is true for InTouch in most installations, it is
> not true for InFusion View. Each InFusion View workstation talks
> directly and independently to the CP just as FoxView does.
>

> We "taught" InTouch to access I/A Series tags using a local DAServer
> instance rather than a shared server.
>

> Re: Anyone know how many HMI instances an Infusion server will
support?
> I don't like the 16 DM/FV instance limit on the IA workstations.
>

> A P91 using MS's Terminal Services can support between 3 and 6
InFusion
> View instances. InFusion View is a heavier load than FoxView.
>

> If instead you are asking if you can use the traditional InTouch
> configuration of a tag server (or Industrial Application Server,
a.k.a.,
> InFusion Engineering Environment) feeding multiple InTouch instances,
> this is not the recommended configuration. It could be setup, but the
> licensing is non-standard.
>

> Re: HMI - Foxview uses scalable vector graphics.  While InTouch at
V10.x
> is also using scalable vector graphics, Infusion is still shipping
with
> the older V9.x version of InTouch.  I believe that the newer version
is
> scheduled for release with Infusion in July.
>

> InTouch 10 has the same rendering engine as InTouch 9.x. That is, the
> graphics are not scalable like FoxView.
>

> InTouch 10 does support the creation of scalable SmartSymbols using
the
> IEE that can be associated with InFusion Application Objects running
in
> the IAE, but once they are placed in a graphic, they become bitmaps.
>

> Work is underway to incorporate InTouch 10 into InFusion, but the date
> has not been announced.
>

> Re: Historian - it currently only stores parameter data - messages
> (alarm messages, operator action journal, system monitor, etc.) will
> need to be stored in AIM*.
>

> Though InSQL, a.k.a., InFusion Historian, does not support the storage
> of message data, InFusion DOES support message data storage.
>

> Part of the InFusion View deliverable is the InFusion Alarm Provider
and
> the program dbLogger. dbLogger subscribes to the InFusion Alarm
Provider
> and records message data into a SQL Server database. This database is
> usually on the InFusion Historian server (same SQL Server instance is
> used).
>

> The InFusion Alarm Provider receives I/A Series messages and formats
> them to match the standard FactorySuite format for display in InFusion
> View and recording by dbLogger.
>

> Re: Engineering tools - it is my understanding that you can use the
> Infusion engineering tools (except the graphics configuration ones)
> regardless of which HMI you choose.
>

> If you use InFusion View, graphics are built using WindowMaker.
>
> If you use FoxView, graphics are built using FoxDraw.
>

> Generally, FoxView/FoxDraw is considered easier and InFusion
> View/WindowMaker more flexible due to its superior scripting, a.k.a.,
> programming, capability.
>

> All new systems are sold with the InFusion Engineering Environment as
> the CP configuration tool regardless of HMI.
>

> Regards,
>

> Alex Johnson
>
> Invensys Systems, Inc.
>
> 10900 Equity Drive
>
> Houston, TX 77041
>
> 713.329.8472 (voice)
>
> 713.329.1700 (fax)
>
> 713.329.1600 (switchboard)
>
> alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> * Confidentiality Notice:
> This e-mail and any associated files are intended solely for the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Please do not copy it
or use it for any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other
person. Further, this e-mail and any associated files may be
confidential and further may be legally privileged. This email is from
the Invensys Process Systems business unit of Invensys plc which is a
company registered in England and Wales with its registered office at
Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5BF (Registered number
166023).  For a list of European legal entities within the Invensys
Process Systems business group, please click here
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=3D77&nav_id=3D80&prev_=
d=3D77.

> If you have received this e-mail in error, you are on notice of its
status. Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete
this message from your system. Thank you for your co-operation. You may
contact our Helpdesk on +44 (0)20 7821 3859 / 2105 or email
inet.hqhelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx This e-mail and any attachments thereto
may be subject to the terms of any agreements between Invensys (and/or
its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient (and/or its

mailto:foxboro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=3Djoin
> to unsubscribe:
mailto:foxboro-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=3Dleave

 =

 =

 =

* Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail and any associated files are intended solely for the individual=
 or entity to whom they are addressed. Please do not copy it or use it for =
any purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. Further, this e=
-mail and any associated files may be confidential and further may be legal=
ly privileged. This email is from the Invensys Process Systems business uni=
t of Invensys plc which is a company registered in England and Wales with i=
ts registered office at Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5BF =
(Registered number 166023).  For a list of European legal entities within t=
he Invensys Process Systems business group, please click here http://www.in=
vensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=3D77&nav_id=3D80&prev_id=3D77.

If you have received this e-mail in error, you are on notice of its status.=
 Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message =
from your system. Thank you for your co-operation. You may contact our Help=
desk on +44 (0)20 7821 3859 / 2105 or email inet.hqhelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx T=
his e-mail and any attachments thereto may be subject to the terms of any a=
greements between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the=
 recipient (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).