Re: [foxboro] Infusion with I/A series DCS

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P \(IPS\)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 22:32:02 -0500

Re: So, under InFusion, what will be the best way to provide a large
number of remote HMIs for management/supervisors/remote operators?  =

Best is a relative term that you will have to decide given the right
information.

There are two approaches:

1) Use InFusion Terminal View - our MS Terminal Services approach
2) Use generic InTouch instances that get data from an InFusion
workstation.

The first approach can support 3 to 6 remote sessions per P91 box.

The latter approach can support more instances of InTouch. However,
there are two issues:

1) I don't have performance numbers to back up that statement though I
believe it is correct.
2) Generic InTouch instances do not have some supporting infrastructure
required to run the InFusion View application.

Re: What do you mean by the term "InFusion View application?" Do you
mean the executable? [I'm anticipating the next question here - AJ]

InTouch does not run process graphics like FV does. For FV, each
display/graphic is in its own file and is distinct from all others. You
load the files that you want a FV instance to see on your workstation
and make sure that a menu makes it accessible.

InTouch (and InFusion View) take a totally different approach. InTouch
loads an "application" that contains lots of things besides process
graphics, a.k.a., InTouch Windows. InFusion View is one such
application.

You may add InTouch Windows to the InFusion View application that we
ship and make other changes, but we do have some items in our
application that depend on our workstation software. If you try to load
InFusion View into an InTouch instance on a generic PC some things will
not work.

Re: What features of InFusion View will not work? [More from me - AJ]

I don't know. I've never tried this, but I suspect that the InFusion
View application makes OM calls.

Re: So, what does this mean to me? [More from me - AJ]
Well, it depends.

You should be able to setup generic InTouch workstations that get their
data from the IAE in an InFusion View workstation assuming that you
build a new generic application and the associated InTouch windows.

However, this application would not be the one you are running on your
InFusion workstations. It would be similar but it would be different.

This may or may not be a significant amount of work to maintain.

Re: What is my alternative? [more from me - AJ]

The alternative to remote, generic InTouch instances is to use InFusion
Terminal View. InFusion Terminal View is a MS Terminal Services based
remote access license.

However, this approach you will get only 3 to 6 remote InFusion Views -
actually InFusion Terminal Views - before the machine bogs down. =

For 50 user's you'd need a lot of machines if they are all active at the
same time.

Re: What do you recommend? [more from me - AJ]

If you want to use InTouch, the simplest choice is InFusion Terminal
View, but it could be expensive to setup.

The generic InTouch approach would (probably) require fewer servers, but
it will require more maintenance to support.

Invensys Systems, Inc.
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
713.329.8472 (voice)