Re: [foxboro] Infusion with I/A series DCS

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P \(IPS\)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 21:12:52 -0500

Some corrections/comments on what Kevin wrote follow.

Re: Redundancy - With Infusion, if you want redundant operator displays
you'll need redundant servers and redundant operator PCs.  Operator
stations failing over to a redundant server is not fast.  With Foxview,
since each workstation connects directly to the control network,
redundant workstations [are] sufficient.

Though this statement is true for InTouch in most installations, it is
not true for InFusion View. Each InFusion View workstation talks
directly and independently to the CP just as FoxView does.

We "taught" InTouch to access I/A Series tags using a local DAServer
instance rather than a shared server.

Re: Anyone know how many HMI instances an Infusion server will support?
I don't like the 16 DM/FV instance limit on the IA workstations.

A P91 using MS's Terminal Services can support between 3 and 6 InFusion
View instances. InFusion View is a heavier load than FoxView.

If instead you are asking if you can use the traditional InTouch
configuration of a tag server (or Industrial Application Server, a.k.a.,
InFusion Engineering Environment) feeding multiple InTouch instances,
this is not the recommended configuration. It could be setup, but the
licensing is non-standard.

Re: HMI - Foxview uses scalable vector graphics.  While InTouch at V10.x
is also using scalable vector graphics, Infusion is still shipping with
the older V9.x version of InTouch.  I believe that the newer version is
scheduled for release with Infusion in July.

InTouch 10 has the same rendering engine as InTouch 9.x. That is, the
graphics are not scalable like FoxView.

InTouch 10 does support the creation of scalable SmartSymbols using the
IEE that can be associated with InFusion Application Objects running in
the IAE, but once they are placed in a graphic, they become bitmaps.

Work is underway to incorporate InTouch 10 into InFusion, but the date
has not been announced.

Re: Historian - it currently only stores parameter data - messages
(alarm messages, operator action journal, system monitor, etc.) will
need to be stored in AIM*.

Though InSQL, a.k.a., InFusion Historian, does not support the storage
of message data, InFusion DOES support message data storage.

Part of the InFusion View deliverable is the InFusion Alarm Provider and
the program dbLogger. dbLogger subscribes to the InFusion Alarm Provider
and records message data into a SQL Server database. This database is
usually on the InFusion Historian server (same SQL Server instance is
used).

The InFusion Alarm Provider receives I/A Series messages and formats
them to match the standard FactorySuite format for display in InFusion
View and recording by dbLogger.

Re: Engineering tools - it is my understanding that you can use the
Infusion engineering tools (except the graphics configuration ones)
regardless of which HMI you choose.

If you use InFusion View, graphics are built using WindowMaker.

If you use FoxView, graphics are built using FoxDraw.

Generally, FoxView/FoxDraw is considered easier and InFusion
View/WindowMaker more flexible due to its superior scripting, a.k.a.,
programming, capability.

All new systems are sold with the InFusion Engineering Environment as
the CP configuration tool regardless of HMI.

Invensys Systems, Inc.

10900 Equity Drive

Houston, TX 77041

713.329.8472 (voice)

713.329.1700 (fax)

713.329.1600 (switchboard)

alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail and any associated files are intended solely for the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. Please do not copy it or use it for any
purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person. Further, this e-mail
and any associated files may be confidential and further may be legally
privileged. This email is from the Invensys Process Systems business unit of
Invensys plc which is a company registered in England and Wales with its
registered office at Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5BF
(Registered number 166023).  For a list of European legal entities within the
Invensys Process Systems business group, please click here
http://www.invensys.com/legal/default.asp?top_nav_id=77&nav_id=80&prev_id=77.

If you have received this e-mail in error, you are on notice of its status.
Please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from
your system. Thank you for your co-operation. You may contact our Helpdesk on
+44 (0)20 7821 3859 / 2105 or email inet.hqhelpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx This e-mail
and any attachments thereto may be subject to the terms of any agreements
between Invensys (and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates) and the recipient
(and/or its subsidiaries and affiliates).