Re: emelfm2 will not compile on Arch after gtk3 upgrade

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 00:21:40 +1100

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 10:02:11 +0100
Geoff <capsthorne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 12:45:24 +1100
> <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Now we have another update, in which relevant stock icons are handled by
> > emelfm2. This is intended as an interim arrangement, until themes catch up
> > and include replacements for all gtk stock icons.
> >
> Compiles and works - subject to the problem I reported.
>
> <snip>
>
> > No obvious reason why a config dialog would affect the filelist operation.
> > This will need detailed investigation, after I get brave enough to install
> > gtk 3.10.
> >
> It turns out to be worse than just the filelist.  On further testing, even if
> do not try to change directory after closing the configuration window, some
> files will not open at all on a double click (eg text files for which I use
> leafpad), but others will (jpg's for which I use GQview). For files with no
> association, the context menu appears ("Open with" etc), but nothing can be
> selected within it.
>
> Incidentally my year-old emelfm2 2-0.8.1 (compiled against gtk3.6.4) throws
> up a
> lot of gtk errors in the xterm, but otherwise continues to work perfectly,
> suffering from none of the above issues.  I may fall back on that version, or
> compile a more recent version against a private copy of an older gtk3, until
> you have the opportunity to get to grips with these problems.

Old story from here - good news and bad ...

First - I installed 3.10.0, rebuilt emelFM2, and so far have found it works
better than on 3.8.4. Still no horizontal scrollbars, or menu icons (even when
deprecated code which is supposed to add such icons is re-enabled). Not a whole
lot of testing, but it does pass the 'steps to reproduce' that you posted
recently.

The bad - this makes it much harder to figure out why yours is not working.
Almost certainly will need to customise some files with extra debug messages.
I'll start by thinking about what's different between 0.8.1 and current svn.
Would be good to get as much insight as you can provide about precise
circumstances and trains of events, including cases where things still work.