Re: emelfm2 will not compile on Arch after gtk3 upgrade

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 16:31:25 +1100

On Mon, 7 Oct 2013 19:49:56 +0100
Geoff <capsthorne@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks, Geoff.

> I did my usual daily full update of Arch today.  I attach as upgrades.txt a
> list of all that was done.  This includes gtk3 (3.8.4-1 -> 3.10.0-2) which I
> assume to be the culprit in what follows.

Yes.

> After the upgrade I had some horrible artifacts in emelfm2 with the "file
> selected" bar the wrong colour and with multiple files highlighted when
> scrolling. I think that was theme-related, and I have subsequently cured
> it by setting "banded background" on.

Yup, I presume the tradition continues - break all themes with every release.

  Before finding that fix I decided
> to recompile my current version of emelfm2 (downloaded from svn on 2nd
> October). It would no longer compile.  I downloaded the current svn, and it
> will not compile either. I attach compilation.txt.

I haven't yet installed gtk 3.10, so I've only been sporadically investigating
what is newly-deprecated in there. The stock-items stuff I've mentioned before,
on this list.

You might try a fresh checkout from svn. That will probably fix most, or maybe
even all, of the problems you encountered. At a cost, though. Current gtk
themes probably won't yet have replacements for gtk's default icons. Having
relied on those up to now, you'll see buttons, menus etc without icons, or with
missing-icon icons. On the plus side, there will be a squillion other icons
available from the default theme, which can be selected for use in the
toolbars. Maybe I can find a way to keep the deprecated stock-items in play,
without causing so much compiler-verbage.

I don't know why your build wouldn't link. Although you got lots of warnings, I
didn't see any errors. It's possible that this gtk actually discarded one or
two things by mistake, instead of deprecating.