Re: e2 crashes when clicking the command.mkdir-button

  • From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 13:21:12 +0100

On 3 January 2011 12:31,  <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:47:41 +0100
> Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Arh, there are a couple of problems with 0.7.4, now fixed in svn. AFAIK it's
> now more stable when starting dialogs, such as for mkdir.

Haven't had any trouble with dialogs, such as mkdir, after upgrading
to 0.7.4, either before or after the "crash" happens.

>  Instead of crashing, now any kind of automatic refresh
>> just stops. There have been a few cases of this happening under normal
>> use, but it seems to mainly happen when moving files from one pane to
>> the other (f6). I don't do much copying, but I expect the same would
>> be the case for that.
>
> I remain concerned about this sort of behaviour, but I can't yet get it to
> happen regularly, much less on demand, so I can't figure out what to fix.
>
> If you can keep a detailed log of what you did prior to the failure, that may
> help. For example, what cd's happened, and were there any refreshes while
> they were open.

I will try to find out more about this. Right now I'm at work, but I
will give you this: it seems to happen more often with big move
operations, almost as if the whole system times out while the data is
being moved.

>> Now, I can live without refresh, pop in and out of a directory, for
>> instance, and I have a updated file list. The real problem starts if I
>> quit emelfm2 and start it up again, then I cannot enter any
>> directories,
>
> Can you be more explicit about what happens ?

See my thread from june "Unable to open directories". I really don't
know anything more than what it says there. Basically emelfm2 is a
directory viewer for the two startup directories, and cannot do
anything with any of the files or directories. Only slightly more
helpful than a screenshot.

>  and I have to delete my cache file before starting
>> emelfm2 to be able to use it. This is of course pretty annoying, since
>> I then have to, almost every time I start emelfm2:
>> 1. delete my cache file
>> 2. resize the window, since the default is too small for me
>> 3. change the ratio between the panes (default doesn't seem to be
>> quite 50/50 for vertical split, the right pane always starts a little
>> bigger than the left)
>
> Because there's a toolbar in the left pane.

Hmm? I have a toolbar in the middle. I've used that for as long as I
can remember, so if that's not the standard, let's ignore this for
now. Solving the crash solves this anyway.

>> 4. enlarge the filename column of both panes, since I deal with a lot
>> of long filenames
>> 5. add back any of my "bookmarks" (the ones in the list, showing
>> recent directories manually navigated to)
>
> That's bad! I would have bailed out. Depending upon what the problem is, you
> might be able to solve it by just editing the cache file, e.g. to remove the
> data for recent directories:
>
> pane1-history=<
> lines...
>>
> pane1-current=some-integer
>
> and/or
>
> pane2-history=<
> lines...
>>
> pane2-current=some-integer

I can always use my "normal" bookmarks, so it's not a showstopper. If
there was a way to save this and the other things mentioned somewhere
more permanent than the cache file, it would at least be beneficial to
me.

> Regards
> Tom

Regards,