Re: e2 crashes when clicking the command.mkdir-button

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:57:49 +1000

On Tue, 18 May 2010 09:14:35 +0200
Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have had random crashes when initiating mkdir (with F7) as well, and
> also when clicking the 'up' button to go to the previous directory,
> plus when simply double clicking to open a directory.
>
> I have not found any reliable way to reproduce this yet, but it in
> general seems to be timing issues somewhere; that is, if I take my
> time between issuing commands, I never get these crashes. Could it be
> that emelfm2 cannot deal with commands when in one particular part of
> the code?
>
> I have not looked at the code, but one thing that came to mind was
> with the program updating its internal info about what directory is
> active. I see in the status bar at the bottom, when tab-ing from one
> pane to the other, there is a delay before the new working directory
> is reflected there.

Normally, the status line is updated by a timeout, every 1.5 seconds or so.

> This wouldn't explain why clicking through many levels of directories
> would crash, as this delay only seems to occur when changing between
> panes, but maybe it gives you some clue as to what the issue is here.

Maybe the crashes are due to a race between that timer, and the process of
updating the active-pane filelist due to a cd or refresh.

By way of experiment, svn code now suspends the timer while the active-pane
filelist is being updated. Feel free to evaluate.