Re: e2 crashes when clicking the command.mkdir-button

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 10:16:05 +1000

On Tue, 18 May 2010 08:14:30 +0200
Joe Koenig <joe.koenig@xxxxxx> wrote:

> sometimes e2 crashes when performing the "mkdir/Create new directory(ies)"
> action on the task toolbar.  Specifically: it happens as soon as I click the
> mkdir button.
>
> This is not reproduceable at all, seems all accidental.

e2 uses multiple threads, and is somewhat aggressive in its approach to quickly
presenting results of threaded operations in the UI. So it needs to be careful
about simultaneous attempts to use xlib/server. Doing so will typically trigger
a crash.

Since gtk 2.16 I think (when it started using xlib more asynchronously but
without documentation how so), e2's behaviour has been sporadically (but
rarely) bad. Here I've seen several crashes in recent months, but have never
been able to reproduce the behaviour so as to get a decent insight into what
assumption is now invalid.

So more feedback is welcome, it may help identify where to focus.