Re: e2 crashes when clicking the command.mkdir-button

  • From: <tpgww@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emelfm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 22:31:22 +1100

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 09:47:41 +0100
Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Returning to this after having used 0.7.4 for a month or so.
>
> emelfm2 now never crashes. That's good. No matter what happens I can
> actually continue, in a fashion, to use it as long as I keep the
> window open.

Arh, there are a couple of problems with 0.7.4, now fixed in svn. AFAIK it's
now more stable when starting dialogs, such as for mkdir.

 Instead of crashing, now any kind of automatic refresh
> just stops. There have been a few cases of this happening under normal
> use, but it seems to mainly happen when moving files from one pane to
> the other (f6). I don't do much copying, but I expect the same would
> be the case for that.

I remain concerned about this sort of behaviour, but I can't yet get it to
happen regularly, much less on demand, so I can't figure out what to fix.

If you can keep a detailed log of what you did prior to the failure, that may
help. For example, what cd's happened, and were there any refreshes while they
were open.

> Now, I can live without refresh, pop in and out of a directory, for
> instance, and I have a updated file list. The real problem starts if I
> quit emelfm2 and start it up again, then I cannot enter any
> directories,

Can you be more explicit about what happens ?

 and I have to delete my cache file before starting
> emelfm2 to be able to use it. This is of course pretty annoying, since
> I then have to, almost every time I start emelfm2:
> 1. delete my cache file
> 2. resize the window, since the default is too small for me
> 3. change the ratio between the panes (default doesn't seem to be
> quite 50/50 for vertical split, the right pane always starts a little
> bigger than the left)

Because there's a toolbar in the left pane.

> 4. enlarge the filename column of both panes, since I deal with a lot
> of long filenames
> 5. add back any of my "bookmarks" (the ones in the list, showing
> recent directories manually navigated to)

That's bad! I would have bailed out. Depending upon what the problem is, you
might be able to solve it by just editing the cache file, e.g. to remove the
data for recent directories:

pane1-history=<
lines...

pane1-current=some-integer