[elky] Re: [non] Flying

  • From: Jared Ryan <jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 21:56:47 -0600

Altimeter is an instant reading; rate-of-climb is a trend reading.  You can
mess yourself up and give the passengers a really bad ride by trying to chase
trend instruments.  I am *much* smoother when I am not paying attention to the
altimeter or rate-of-climb indicators.  Just look outside and hold the nose in
the right position relative to the horizon; chase the gauges and you'll
porpoise worse than, well, a real porpoise.

You are totally right: flying VFR I am being taught to ignore most of the
instruments.  Ignore isn't quite the right word; the primary source of
information is the horizon outside, backed up by occasional quick glances at
the panel.  Why go by the little artificial horizon on the panel, when you have
the great big real horizon outside?

Even landing, it's only quick glances at the airspeed indicator, then just hold
the nose at that attitude to maintain the speed.  (For non-pilots, and I know
this doesn't make sense at face value: the pitch, or how high the nose is,
determines speed, while power determines altitude.  It is the reverse of what
you would think but it is how planes, both full-size and models, are flown.)