[elky] Re: [non] Flying

  • From: Robert Adams <elcam84@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 11:31:07 -0600

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Jared Ryan <jryan@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oh, it was ILS, all the way.  The King Air is actually flown IFR at all
> times, regardless of visibility.

               It's often treated more like a commercial airplane than a
small aircraft. Course if you are going somewhere under FL180 you are flying
VFR or IFR under your own navigation.

                I'd like to fly some of those small RJs but those pilots get
screwed royally. They take anyone they can get cause the subs running the
airlines have very strict rules and very often skirt the FAA regs or worse.
After the continental crash allot has finally come up but little has really
been done.

                 Speaking of ATC...  One of the AA pilots that I fly with
often (He always asks Geri how I'm doing when he sees her, We had a good
time last thanksgiving in reno) and I were talking in the van and... He was
on approach to the airport just under 10K ft and there was a southwest 737
right off the wing landing at a parallel runway. The plane was going right
at 250KIAS and this southwest plane was passing by pretty quick and well
over 250. So he called into the tower and asked how fast that 73 was going
and he said 245. So he promptly declared an emergency since the airspeed
indicators on his plane were reading way too low and he got priority to
land...

             But anyway that stuff happens allot and he said southwest often
gets to go over 250Kias as the controllers must just like them.

              For those that don't know 250KIAS is the speed limit when
under 10K feet. You maintain no less than 180 on approach.

> The most interesting part of the flight, to me, was the dramatic
> demonstration of how the human body is not set up to determine acceleration
> in three dimensions.  Even though I wasn't in command, I had to keep looking
> at the instrument panel, especially the artificial horizon, for my own
> sanity.  My body was telling me lies about our pitch and bank attitude,
> starting shortly after takeoff.  Note that this is *not* airsickness; it's
> spacial disorientation.  My stomach was fine.

                Yeah it takes some getting used to the plane moving around
and your focus on the end of the runway and watch the gauges to keep the
speed within range and to not worry too much about what the plane itself is
doing. Really hard to comprehend and explain unless you have flown planes.
People don't realize there is quite a bit of info that you basically ignore
for many aspects of flying. Not just because you don't need it but it often
lies to you.

                    Like the don't sink alarm. It goes by certian inputs and
it's not always correct.

> I was glad the pilots left the cockpit door open and turned off the cabin
> lights.  It was hard to convince the kids not to turn on any lights (it has
> reading lights like an airliner) but well worth it to preserve night vision
> and look through the cockpit windows.

            Yeah I remember standing in the doorway during takeoff and
landing. Those days are over forever now.