[elky] Re: Fwd: Chevy heads 305 HO fresh 416 - $50 (McHenry)

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 20:15:27 -0700

No, the HO heads aren't much (if any) different from the stock 305 heads. They're small valve (1.84, I think) to compensate for the small bore of the 305. Even if they flow a little better than stock heads, they'll still choke the 350. Bleeve me, I did it. I built a nice 355 and put small-valve heads on it and the damned thing went flat as a pancake at 4 grand, even with a fairly radical cam in it. I wouldn't use 'em.

On 11/12/2010 7:12 PM, John Christensen wrote:
350 4 bolt but I think the HO 305 heads have bigger valves and higher
compression. I had the stock 305 heads on the Elky when I bought it. Ran it
that way for 8+ years. When I blew a head gasket and put 350 heads on it the
compression went way down and ran like puke In comparison. I think it will be
better than what I have unless there are flat tops in there when I open it up.
I already run premium to keep it from pinging. So it packs a punch.  Just
smokes real bad when it starts an it is real embarrassing. Plus I don't want to
wait till the coolant and oil are mixing before I do the deed.
JC.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2010, at 7:20 PM, Chris Lindh<chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

Does the Monte have a 305?