[elky] Re: Fwd: Chevy heads 305 HO fresh 416 - $50 (McHenry)

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 12:28:45 EST

Personally I think you should rebuild the ones you have. You know they
work, and would be a better choice long term.

Smoky Mt. Frank

In a message dated 11/13/2010 6:43:17 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hmmmm. I  can still back out.

I don't ever drive this thing over 4000 rpm (ever)  so I don't think it
will affect me there, but I have gone down this road  before with the old Elky
engine. I had dished pistons in it, and went to a  bigger chambered head and
lost compression. It never ran good again.

I  know that the bottom end could go after fixing the top. I have seen it
happen  before, but I just don't drive this hard, and I need to stop the
coolant and  oil leaking from the head gasket. The valve guides leak in to the
cylinders  every time it is shut off too (the biggest problem) and the plume
of smoke at  Lions Club, or the grocery store after just 1 to 30 minutes
shut down is just  embarrassing. Not to mention having to wait for every cyl to
fire properly  after the oil burns off. I can't afford to rebuild the heads
that are on it.  Plain and simple. I also don't want the car down for a
week or 2 while I am  working on it. I just got it back and the snow is coming.

I am not  getting coolant in the cyl or out the tail pipe yet, or in the
oil. Now is the  time to change them before that happens. If I wait, .... well
I have been down  that road too. I am not interested in driving the Elky in
the snow and salt  this year. If I could swap heads in a weekend, that
would be the solution. If  these heads won't do it, I have to find some cheap
ones that will. I just  don't want the same thing to happen that did with the
Elky and lose  compression. It's not worth it to lose flow and mileage
though.

More  research needed.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Ray Buck <_rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx) > wrote:

No, the HO  heads aren't much (if any) different from the stock 305 heads.
They're  small valve (1.84, I think) to compensate for the small bore of
the  305.  Even if they flow a little better than stock heads, they'll still
choke the 350.  Bleeve me, I did it.  I built a nice 355 and put
small-valve heads on it and the damned thing went flat as a pancake at 4
grand, even
with a fairly radical cam in it.  I wouldn't use  'em.

On 11/12/2010 7:12 PM, John Christensen wrote:
350 4 bolt but I think the HO 305 heads have bigger valves and higher
compression. I had the stock 305 heads on the Elky when I bought it. Ran it
that
way for 8+ years. When I blew a head gasket and put 350 heads on it the
compression went way down and ran like puke In comparison. I think it will be
better than what I have unless there are flat tops in there when I open it up.
I already run premium to keep it from pinging. So it packs a punch.  Just
smokes real bad when it starts an it is real embarrassing. Plus I don't want
to wait till the coolant and oil are mixing before I do the deed.

JC.

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 12, 2010, at 7:20 PM, Chris Lindh _<chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>_
(mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  wrote: