[elky] Re: Clustertruck lives!

  • From: Mary McCarthy <printces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 09:32:01 -0800

yeah, I knew you'd get it.  Smart kid.

Mary

Hey!!! Great news Saul. Congratulations.

The little stuff is never done.

JC

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Saul Marsh <saulmarsh72@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:saulmarsh72@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I found a way to get Clustertruck's alternator back on...using the
    correct lower alternator bracket for a '73 Sprint, and a spacer
    and jackleg upper bracket that was on my truck before.  I finally
    got the car going, and the generator light does not stay on after
    the car is shut off (original problem that started this whole
    mess).  I'm not out of the woods yet.  For one, the thermostat
    housing is now leaking (I had to remove a bolt from it during one
    of my unsuccessful attempts to replace the upper alternator
    bracket.  Furthermore, my generator light does not appear to be
    working at all.  That's still a step up from before, where the
    only way I could keep the battery from draining was to disconnect
    the battery everytime I parked the car.  I suspect that my
    generator light problem had to do with the fact that the red wire
    coming from the back of the alternator was rubbing up against
    another part.  The new installation just looks better...lots of
    room for the alternator to slide back and forth.  The local
    salvage yard supplied me with a good spacer and alternator
    bracket, which was much better than the cobbled POS that existed
    on the car previously.
    I didn't drive Clustertruck very far, just enough to park it in
    its winter parking spot behind my house.  But all I need to do is
    replace the thermostat gasket.  Should be an easy job.  Easy as
    pie.  Easy, like replacing an alternator is easy :)