[elky] Re: Clustertruck lives!

  • From: Ray Buck <rbuck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 00:06:30 -0700

Absolutely wonderful! Keep this up and it'll be a "wondertruck" eventually. :)

On 11/21/2010 8:15 PM, Saul Marsh wrote:

I found a way to get Clustertruck's alternator back on...using the correct lower alternator bracket for a '73 Sprint, and a spacer and jackleg upper bracket that was on my truck before. I finally got the car going, and the generator light does not stay on after the car is shut off (original problem that started this whole mess). I'm not out of the woods yet. For one, the thermostat housing is now leaking (I had to remove a bolt from it during one of my unsuccessful attempts to replace the upper alternator bracket. Furthermore, my generator light does not appear to be working at all. That's still a step up from before, where the only way I could keep the battery from draining was to disconnect the battery everytime I parked the car. I suspect that my generator light problem had to do with the fact that the red wire coming from the back of the alternator was rubbing up against another part. The new installation just looks better...lots of room for the alternator to slide back and forth. The local salvage yard supplied me with a good spacer and alternator bracket, which was much better than the cobbled POS that existed on the car previously.

I didn't drive Clustertruck very far, just enough to park it in its winter parking spot behind my house. But all I need to do is replace the thermostat gasket. Should be an easy job. Easy as pie. Easy, like replacing an alternator is easy :)