[elky] Re: Busy Sunday

  • From: STILLFRANKSFAULT@xxxxxxx
  • To: elky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 22:07:48 -0400 (EDT)

ahhhhhhh.............. progress.

Smokey Mt Frank

In a message dated 10/9/2011 7:46:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
johncgg@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I woke  up this morning and took the El Camino to the school. It was 80 and
sunny,  just beautiful today. Tom was working on painting the Gator School
Colors of  Black and Orange, instead of John Deer Green and yellow. They use
it at the  field during games I think. So he was there with one of the kids
from the Auto  Club.

I put it up on the lift right after I got there, and it was just  as I
suspected, the rubber hose to tank tube connection was leaking at the  return
line. This is actually the old fuel sending line, and is bigger in  diameter.
Robert made a new supply line when he modified my sending unit for  the
pump. I had a Fuel injection style clamp on it that was a bit too big. So  the
hose was crimping with a little V in it that made it leak. Putting a
standard style smaller clamp on it cleared up the problem right away. Thanks
Tom for that clamp and the opportunity to use the lift.

Elkenstein  is running and driving as good as it ever has. Any of you that
want to drive  it are welcome. It's a treat for me, I can tell you. It even
sounds different  with adequate fuel pressure coming from the new pump. When
I am cruising, I  can mash it, and it has torque galore. I still have yet
to put it to the  floor, Not that I am afraid of what will happen when it
breaks loose, but that  I want to keep a decent rate on my insurance, and I
honestly have more motor  than I can use driving around the streets here. I
need to find an autocross or  something. To say it feels tight is an
understatement. Very confident feel.  Firm, but predictable, and if I push it,
something else will be the weak link  now, and not the structure. No rattles at
all
now.

It's hard to say  what will be next on the list, but I have a list. Not in
this order, but some  will have to happen at the same time.
    *   Now that the fuel pump is in, I am going to get the performance
chip  burned. Just need to confirm all the data again first. I'll be gathering
some more.
    *   OVERDRIVE ... I have a line on a 2004r built up for 500HP
tolerance. The  guy spent $450 on it, and wants to get that out of it. I am
saving to
give  it to him.
    *   I will need a double hump cross member to change the exhaust, and
will  have to modify the frame a bit..... but it just so happens that I have
a  welder now.
    *   I will at least need to change one side of the headers, but will
probably do both. Anyone have preferences here?
    *   I have been looking at side pipes, and I just love them. If I don't
do  that, I may come out before the wheels kind of like Ray's approach only
both  sides. But I like side pipes, and it makes it look even lower. _See
this link_
(http://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot-Exhaust/737/H1050/10002/-1?parentProductId=)
    *   Wheels.... Going to go with Gray center Torque Thrust II or M in
17" to  allow for big brakes.
    *   Did I mention Big Brakes? Robert had a set up he was talking about,
 using larger S-10 Rotors, and spindles, and tubular upper A arms.
    *   To get the power to the ground I would need at least tubular rear
control arms, and probably a Posi too. The 3.23 gears will be fine. 26
spline, 3.08 or numerically higher posi carrier is what I am looking  for.
I figure about 2 years to get this done. 3 if I am not  lucky on parts
acquisition.

Then, I got the window replaced in the  kitchen. My neighbor Jose came over
to help me with peeling back the siding  and wrestling it in to place. It
was a great help, adn I really appreciated  it. I just have to finish the
wood framing inside now. I'll probably use Oak  to match the cabinets.

Now it's time for a cup of coffee, and some CAD  work while Cindy is at her
book club. Is anyone else tired just reading this?  Great day.