[duxuser] Re: Learning to use Dbt win

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 10:08:18 +0100

Hi Don,

As the primary Help file author, I'm all ears, and
very willing to take on board constructive
suggestions for improvement.  Hopefully when 10.5
is released, you will see some improvements in
areas such as Style and Code explanations.  The
Transcribers Guide (New) is a good place to start
learning about Codes and Styles.

However, taking your specific problem on board
right now, when you imported the DOS file in to
DBT, can you recall what Import Filter you used?
Did you try "Formatted Text (MS-DOS)"?

If that failed, I'm more than willing to look at
the file if you don't mind sending it to me
privately at george@xxxxxxxxxxx  These things are
usually simple to solve, though occasionally we do
get something unexpected.

In the meantime, I will try and post some basic
explanations about Styles and Codes.  It can be
tricky to begin with, but once you get started,
there's seldom any turning back.

All the best,

George Bell.

Of Donald L. Roberts
> Sent: 08 July 2004 02:04
> To: duxuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [duxuser] Learning to use Dbt win
>
> Hello,
>
> Although I bought this program well over a year
ago, for me
> at least, learning to use it has been a totally
frustrating
> experience.  While I do not wish to be too quick
to blame the
> program's documentation, it doesn't seem to me
that the docs
> begin at the beginning and then have a logical
progression
> including meaningful examples. However, to be
honest, I
> haven't read that much of the documentation,
possibly because
> I learned braille as a child and have used both
Nfbtrans and
> Turbo Braille without difficulty for many years.
>
> I won't waste your time generalizing because I
wanted to
> bring up a specific situation for which I just
cannot figure
> the solution.  I have an alphabetized list of
phone numbers
> which is perhaps 18 K in size which was written
as a dos
> ascii text file, one name and number per line.
When I
> imported this file into Dbt Win version 10.4,
all of the crlf
> pairs had been removed.  This was true
regardless of whether
> I said that the file was formatted ms dos or
formatted
> windows.  When I turned on reveal codes or
whatever you call
> it with alt f3, no line breaks were shown.
>
> So what am I missing?  So how soon will Dbt for
dummies be
> available?  I understand how to set up the
embosser and
> printer, etc., it is just this business of
styles which I
> find somewhat daunting.  Stated another way, the
process of
> translation and embossing works fine for me.
Conversely,
> proper formatting is for me a real challenge.
>
> Thanks for listening.
>
> Don Roberts
>
> * * *
> * This message is via list duxuser at
freelists.org.
<duxuser-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>. You may also
> * subscribe, unsubscribe, and set vacation mode
and other subscription
> * options by visiting //www.freelists.org.
The list archive
http://www.duxburysystems.com